Emphasis will be given to students to have knowledge and understanding of concepts, theories and methods of acquiring knowledge in communication education. to be applied in communication research evaluation
1. Programme Title
Master of Arts Programme in Mass Communication
Full Title: Master of Arts (Mass Communication)
Abbreviated Title: M.A. (Mass Communication)
3. Responsible Agency
Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication
4. Philosophy and Objectives
Journalism and mass communication is a profession that has a very important role and responsibility towards individuals and society. Advanced and wide-ranging knowledge, expertise and experience are needed to make this profession progress in consistent with needs and conditions of Thai society that have been changing all the time.
M.A. programme in Mass Communication, Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication, focuses on making students specialized in research, both qualitative and quantitative, on mass communication that they can use to develop policy making and communication planning for projects to develop the country in terms of economy, politics, government, society, education, public health and culture, for example.
However, although communication has become more important widely in Thailand, efforts to use it for development of the country have not been effective as it should. Various development projects did not achieve their goals as planned significantly because of the lack of policy making and planning on communication at both macro and micro level. In addition, knowledge and understanding in terms of theory, techniques, policy and practice concerning use of communication for development is not enough and as completed as it should because of the lack of serious and credible scientific research. Opening an M.A. Programme in Mass Communication will help close this gap and greatly support development of the country. Graduates from this M.A. Programme could apply this knowledge to develop policy making and planning on communication and conduct a communication profession in general deeply in term of research, and could also practice as a specialist in mass communication according to their interest and skill. Moreover, graduates from this M.A. Programme will have good knowledge background on research that they could use to apply in various development projects and could be as the academic knowledge base at higher level.
The Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication, Thammasat University, at present, has the capacity in terms of personnel and academic resources ready to open this M.A. Programme in Mass Communication. Research to discover new knowledge in various fields is a major factor that makes Thammasat University famous and being recognized in social science academic role. Consistent with mass communication education at graduate level, this M.A. Programme in Mass Communication not only makes the Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication an education centre to develop knowledge on mass communication at national level but also creates a good opportunity for the Faculty to coordinate, cooperate and share academic products with other education institutes, inside and outside of the country; that is the reason of opening this programme.
1. To prepare students with academic knowledge, skills and experience on theories of mass communication research, both qualitative and quantitative, to apply for planning communication jobs that is consistent with needs and problems in Thai society at present.
2. To produce personnel with knowledge and ability to work at executive level in term of communication policy and planning, communication for development and communication research, in various organisations in the country for more benefits to society and common interests.
3. To promote academic and professional progress in mass communication in Thailand through interdisciplinary approach.
4. To prepare personnel who have appropriate knowledge, responsibility and qualifications to conduct a profession in mass communication and develop communication activities in general for more benefits to society.